Sunday, August 28, 2011

Happiness

I took SR (2 y/o) for a walk tonight and we stopped in the middle of campus for a little bit. We sat on a bench, looking at the buildings and the mountains. I asked SR what makes him happy (he's the smartest, most mature 2 y/o I have ever met- in ALL my time of working with kids). He told me, in order- 1. JoJo (the stuffed elephant I have in my car for him); 2. His Water (that he was drinking at that very moment) and 3. His James (the toy train engine he was driving up and down the bench). I told him I was very glad he was happy.

A few minutes passed and SR turned to me and said, "Miss Megan, what makes you happy?" I don't know if it was his maturity, the question itself, or something else, but I, of course, immediately get choked up. Finally, I calmed down, thought about it, turned to SR and said, "You. You make me happy. The mountains make me happy. The sunset. This moment. Everything about this moment."

And as we started walking back to his house, I realized how true my words were. Nothing made me happier than that very moment we were living in. Nothing was better than sitting there on campus, with SR sitting next to me, staring at the sunset and the mountains. What could possibly ever beat that moment?


The beauty of living in each moment is that nothing that has come before and nothing that may come after can ever beat that exact, specific moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment