Wednesday, August 17, 2011

An Open Letter

Dear boy at the airport,

I noticed you on the Denver to Cleveland flight, sitting with your dad at the back of the plane. You were behaving so well- reading your book and then watching TV. You sat quietly, you didn't wiggle, you didn't bother anyone. (You were behaving better than I was!) Something exciting must have happened on your show because you turned to your dad with a huge smile and he so meanly told you to "knock it off." I watched the smile disappear from your eyes, as well as your lips*. In my seat, I closed my eyes and I wished you well.

I saw you again in the Cleveland airport, our connecting flights going out of the same gate. Your flight was canceled and the airlines were going to put everyone onto a bus. Your dad was furious. He hollered at you for not walking fast enough to the counter. He hollered at the airline personnel for having to take a bus. He hollered and he hollered, holding your arm in a tight grip the entire time. I watched as you stared at your feet-not daring to look at him or anyone around you. For ten minutes you stood perfectly still, your dad's hand on your arm, not saying a word.

And I stood and watched. I watched this scene and I worried for you. But I didn't say or do anything. I wish I had asked you about your book and movie, had found out what had made you smile. I wish I had asked you your age, or where you were from, or what you liked to do. I wish I had asked your dad to lighten his grip on your arm. I wish I was brave enough, or that it felt right enough, for me to come talk to you.

I would have told you that you seem like an intelligent, sweet, well-behaved kiddo. I would have assured you that we all crave our parents' attention and affection and told you that you aren't alone in that. I would have said that for some kids, it doesn't matter how well-behaved or good enough they are- some parents act that way no matter what. I would have stressed that you have your whole life ahead of you and that there will be people who are interested in what you do and say, who won't be mean or hurt you, and I would have told you that you are so special- if for no other reason than that you're a part of this world.

A week after our encounter, I'm still thinking about you. I'm wishing you well and sending the best thoughts a person can in your direction. I hope that wherever you were heading then and wherever you are heading in your life that there is a person to greet you with kindness on the other side.

M.


"You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
-Max Ehrmann



*I recognize much of this letter is conjecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment